Tuesday, August 17, 2010

He's Here!!

As I sat down to write today, I didn't know where to begin or how to write about this eventful week and a half. So I decided to do somewhat of a timeline. After you read this, you'll understand why it's taken me nearly 2 weeks to update anything. It's pretty long, so get comfy.

I don't want to write everything all at once, so I'll do it in pieces.

I left off last Wednesday, where my blood pressure was high and we were monitoring it. I spent Thursday on total bedrest in preparation for my doctor's appointment on Friday.

I did however, bring my 24 collection to the lab at the hospital (just like I was supposed to) and was greeted by one of the rudest people that I've ever encountered who made sure to make me feel dumb, yell at me about how the hospital lab doesn't take my well known insurance, stress me out about having to send my labs to another lab entirely, and draw my blood without necessity. That's really good for the blood pressure.

Friday 8/6
Just before heading to the doctor's appoinment, Lukas and I decided to pack our stuff in the car just in case we didn't come home that day. Good thing.

We get to the doctor and my blood pressure is still high and now I'm retaining more water. When going to inquire about my collection that I turned into the lab the doctor is informed that the lab had just gotten my tests that morning, which completely invalidated them. Needless to say, I was THRILLED with the lady from the hospital lab.

The doctor decided to send me back into triage at the hospital to monitor my blood pressure and decide if I am going to be induced.

After a few hours of this, the other doctor from the practice came in to tell us that I had preeclampsia and that we would be having a baby the very next morning!! In just a few short hours, our sweet baby would be here!

So I got admitted and headed over to antepartum to spend the night. We had a nice dinner and giggled like two kids the night before a Disney vacation.

Saturday 8/7 (THE BIG DAY!)

At 430 in the morning the nurses from Labor and Delivery came to get us and get started. I was sleeping (I slept for maybe 10 minutes that night) and they scared me so when they came in I made a loud gasping noise. It was pretty funny and I was embarrassed.

By 630 Lukas had on his "Team Kelly" shirt, I had my IV of Pitocin and my water was being broken by a resident. We were well on our way. I also had (by request of my mother) the best nurse, Bobbie and I was so glad to see her.





By 930 I was trying to walk around and sit on the labor ball, but this was hard because I had to stay on the monitor for my blood pressure. And it was hard because I was having a lot of contractions really close together. I decided that if I were going to end up needing to be confined to my bed, then I was going to consider an epidural. But first I wanted to measure my progress. If I had only gone up like 1/2 a centimeter then you could forget it. Luckily, I was up to 4cm so I decided to hold off on the epidural. I did however opt for a small dosage of Stadol which kept me feeling the pain, just in a loopier state of mind.

One hour later, the doctor came in to see how dilated I was and I had jumped up 3 more cm's to 7! I was totally shocked! I knew that once I got to 7 everything picked up as far as pain goes, but that it was the home stretch and I could make it!

Just one short hour after that, I was fully dilated and telling the nurse that I was ready to push. I also had Lukas to tell me how my contractions were doing and hold my hand and keep me collected through this time. I seriously, could not have done this without Lukas. He was calm, supportive, and knew exactly what to do and say to make me feel better. He was such a rock for me. It's bizarre how something so physically painful can only add to the love that I already felt for him.

Much to my surprise the nurse said, okay to the pushing and the doctor was right in the room getting ready for me to deliver. I promise, that delivery room was like a spaceship. Lights were suddenly being unfolded from the ceiling and my bed was cut in half. Very state of the art.

For the last hour of me being in labor I was in total la la land. I didn't open my eyes at all. Everything around me was a whirlwind. I even had a lady come in to help me deliver and I didn't even see what she looked like until everything was done.

I spent 45ish minutes pushing. Our poor baby got stuck and they just kept on saying that once he got past that point he'd be out. Finally, he was past that point and born. I was able to open my eyes and hold my sweet boy. I thanked the nurse for letting me hold him (I know, I was still in a bit of a daze). I told him that I was his mommy and he was my baby. I kissed my wonderful husband and we talked about how much we loved each other.

Then we just sat there.

The three of us sat there for about an hour and loved each other.

It was a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment